If you want to create an enchanted space then one great way to achieve this is to make a fairy garden.
Whether designing for old or young, an enchanted garden can provide a beautiful natural haven for both humans and wildlife!
Five Good Reasons to Make a Fairy Garden
- It creates a fun, magical space for children
- If you believe in fairies, this is one of the best ways to attract them
- This type of garden is eco-friendly and thus good for the environment
- It creates a haven for wildlife
- It can stimulate the imagination and provide a refuge from the busy modern world
How to Make a Fairy Garden
The first thing to think about is design. Much will depend on the size of your garden, but the key aspects are:
- Fairy-friendly flowers, such as native wildflowers
- A natural layout, preferably part-wild, rather than a formal design
- Homes and food for animals, birds and insects
- Compost heaps, rainwater butts and other eco-friendly garden areas
- Fairy statues
- Trees and natural hedgerows
- Sensory stimulation – scented plants, tinkling bells, fairy lights, running water, edible fruits
- Tiny houses and secret places for fairies to hide in
- A secret area of the garden to play with the fairies!
Inspiration for Making a Fairy Garden
You will probably have a vague idea of what your ideal garden should look like. Everyone is different – you might prefer the quaint flower fairies, or wish to go for a darker, Gothic version of Fairyland. Get inspiration from the fairies – draw ideas from fairy art, fantasy fashion, nature, and the wild places. Try a theme, such as the seashore or woods.
The hardest part of learning how to make a fairy garden is knowing where to start. Which flowers should I plant? Do I leave the grass partially wild, or completely wild? Once you know exactly what works, the rest is easy, and fun!
I had all sorts of questions when I first thought about making a fairy garden. But once I knew the secrets, it was easy! Now my garden is flourishing, and not only does it make a beautiful garden to look at, it also provides a magical place for my children to enjoy. Plus it helps fire their imagination and learn about the natural world too!