When you consider how many times a week people sort, pre-treat, fold, hang and iron laundry, it’s no wonder so many people dread doing laundry. Adding to the frustration of this chore is that the laundry area is often the smallest space in the home.
Whether your laundry area is a tiny closet, a small room off the kitchen or a spacious spot in the basement, organizing your space will make your laundry routine a bit easier. Tackle the mountain of clothes that have taken over your laundry area with our organizing tips to making laundry day (almost) painless.
1. Set up a sorting station in the laundry room. You can use baskets, bins, or rolling carts with divided compartments. Have each family member put their dirty clothes into each of the marked areas: whites, lights, colors, delicates, towels, etc., rather than using just one hamper and having to spend time sorting dirty clothes.
2. Maximize your space. Install floating shelves over your washer and dryer for easy access to detergent, fabric softener, dryer sheets, etc. If you don’t have room, try a laundry butler that slides between the washer and dryer. This extra narrow cart is set on casters making it easy to roll in and out.
3. When floor space is limited, look for items that fold up and stash away easily such as wall-mounted fold-down ironing boards, hinged counters, drying racks and retractable clotheslines.
4. Group supplies together in bins according to their purpose; place stain-removal products in one, sewing materials in another, and sponges, brushes and rags in a third.
5. Clean laundry should be hung up or folded as soon as you take it out of the dryer to lessen the time you will have to spend ironing later. Install a closet rod or towel bar so you can hang your clothes as soon as you take them out of the dryer. Use padded hangers to help keep fine fabrics like silk or satin from slipping off.
6. Downsize your bottles. Oversize containers of laundry supplies are hard to handle and take up valuable space. Transfer detergent into more manageable-size glass or plastic containers. Beverage dispensers with an easy-pour spout make it easy to dispense liquid detergent. Using a clear container also makes it easy to see when you’re running low on product.
7. Tired of searching through piles of clothes looking for a lone sock’s missing match? Store safety pins near your hamper and pin dirty socks together at the ankle when you take them off. They’ll stay paired up when you wash and dry them.
Enviro Maids uses only the safest, eco-friendly cleaning products and methods — which are extremely effective — but eliminate the hazardous toxins that are harmful to the earth, and your family.